Investment funds & programmes
We understand the challenges faced by the social impact sector and therefore offer wrap-around support to many of our investments, which can include a dedicated account manager understanding your organisation, grant funding supporting your organisation to become investment-ready and mentoring expertise.
Big Issue Invest provides loan finance to England-based social enterprises and charities. Since 2005 we have made over 550 investments to the value of £80 million. We currently manage £39.7 million in funds in over 184 organisations. We offer social enterprises and charities a range of repayable finance options, from loans as small as £20,000 to larger investments of up to £3.5 million as well as corporate mentoring and investment programmes designed for early-stage social businesses.
Find out more about our programmes and funds currently open to new applications
Big Issue Invest provides loan finance to England-based social enterprises and charities through various programmes, with finance provided by partners including Access, the Foundation for Social Investment, The National Lottery Community Fund and Big Society Capital.
- Loan finance between £20,000 to £150,000
- Flexible term
- Loans are unsecured
Make big savings from small loans.
At Big Issue Invest, we have a long track record of providing loans for energy efficiency and renewable energy installation. We offer finance for a range of projects, from insulation and door and window upgrades, through to renewable energy installation.
- England-based organisations
- Loans from £20,000 to £150,000 (smaller loans available by exception)
- Flexible repayment terms
- Loans can be unsecured
Big Issue Invest, UnLtd and Shift partnered to create a £25M fund designed to address the structural barriers that diverse social enterprises face. The Growth Impact Fund, has invested in 50-60 ventures, focusing on diverse-led social enterprises tackling inequality in the UK.
- Loans, equity and equity-like investment
- With wrap-around support
- Typical investment range £50,000 to £1.5M
- Flexible term
- Loans can be secured and unsecured
Big Issue Invest Fund Management (“BIIFM”) is currently raising Fund IV, a Unitranche Social Impact Debt Fund. We will lend to established socially impactful organisations in the UK, with a history of revenue generation and assets to support secured debt.
Investment will be focused on three sectors:
- Homelessness & Affordable Housing;
- Site-based Care Services, and;
- Community and Social Infrastructure.
- BIIFM is the sole lender on a single secured loan (a “Unitranche” structure, encompassing
- elements of traditional senior and junior debt and/or equity participation)
- Loan sizes of £1m to £5m for asset backed growth
- 3- to 5-year loan terms