Stop Mass Homelessness
Help us stop mass homelessness
Right now, we are on the cliff edge of a mass homelessness crisis.
Evictions and repossessions are taking place at increasingly alarming rates. The furlough scheme has been cut. The energy price cap has increased. Universal Credit has been cut by £20.
We need to take action to keep people in their homes and #StopMassHomelessness. Sign the petition to add your support to the campaign.
What’s the scale of the problem?
- 431,820 households in the Private Rented Sector are in rent arrears
- 558,000 Universal Credit claimants are in rent arrears
- A household is evicted every 63 minutes
- A third of evictions explicitly mention Covid-19 related poverty
- 1.6 million people were still on furlough when the scheme ended
- Energy bills for millions have risen by up to £139 a year
What’s the solution?
The Big Issue is calling on the Government to act now to Stop Mass Homelessness.
We need urgent action not only to prevent the immediate threat of mass homelessness and address long-term challenges. We must invest in prevention and keep people in their homes. It’s as simple as that.
The Government must pay off rent arrears and help those unable to pay their rent or mortgage due to Covid-19.
It’s also critical to suspend no fault evictions until a Renter’s Reform Act is passed.
To future proof the job industry, we also must see investment in supporting people into jobs and training in sustainable industries.